Happy Christmas Eve! Today is National Egg Nog Day!
To celebrate I just wanted to quickly share a recipe I found and think its absolutely delicious! I made a few adjustments since I’m trying to be 100% vegan, so good news is this recipe is dairy free and has added protein for those beefcakes out there. More importantly I wanted to make an Egg Nog that you can enjoy a few glasses tonight without a bloated feeling afterwards.
Keep in mind, just like with any healthy substitute, it won’t taste like the original. Since I’ve been dairy free and meatless for over a year (and love it btw) all my friends ask me what’s better… the meatless veggie burger or a ‘real’ burger. Well the answer is simple – the real burger, duh! Of course that crap taste better but it’s not better for you.
With that said, I enjoy this Egg Nog recipe below but your mom’s ‘real’ Egg Nog might taste better. However, let’s be honest. We only make Egg Nog during the holidays so we have a reason to get drunk in the morning while opening gifts, right! So, enjoy!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/2 cup sugar substitute (I like Stevia)
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp nutmeg (plus 1tsp for garnish)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup brandy/bourbon (try maple bourbon)
- 1/2 cup rum (I use vanilla or coconut flavored)
- 3 cups of Silk Dairy Free Egg Nog or Silk Almond Milk
- 10 oz of firm tofu (optional – for thickness)
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
- In a blender, combine all ingredients (except for garnish) along with ice cubes. Pulse/Blend until the drink is creamy as desired. Add additional ice if you want more of a frostier texture.
- Serve in a glass with 1-2 ice cubes. Sprinkle nutmeg on top and finish with cinnamon stick!
- Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
WARNING: PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THIS FOR SANTA, HE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO NAVIGATE THE SLEIGH…OR CALL HIM AN UBER.